Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Fleet Foxes

FLEET FOXES!

...is the name of the band I just saw tonight. I have really enjoyed listening to them ever since a Mr. Bob Boilen (NPR's All Songs Considered) introduced a couple songs and later a live concert.

This is a weird mental image, but their music makes me think of drinking hot chocolate and eating tofujerky while it snows out. It is something about the bizarre but beautiful collection of sensory stimulation. Some of their music is almost folky religious in the Cat Stevens or the 'Spirit in the Sky' sort of way.


The concert was so good! There were a number of Americans and also a running joke about JZ and Coldplay doing a collaboration. At one point the main singer called out to some loud Americans, "Are we... countrymen?" and it was quite hilarious. I was in the first row... well, human row. I could have either swatted or hugged the main singer. This was also my first concert where I could legally drink a beer! That allowance made waiting for the opening act much more enjoyable.

In the middle of the set, the main singer started strumming 'What Child Is This?' and the drummer laughed and said, "wow, poignant." I really love snarky English words, clever countrymen, and Seattle.

My last thought for the night: the fact that Germans adore indie music pleases me to no end.

No comments: