Saturday, December 27, 2008

Winter in Zürich

Zürich is wonderful, I had an odd bit of homesickness that abated when I talked to Steve for a bit. It is really nice to be with family and to comprehend everything around me (finally! Speaking, however is always harder). I am getting a lot of language practice and it is feeling even more natural to speak German now. Swiss-German, though...

Oh God. I watched Paranoid Park last night and had pangs of longing for Portland. Beautifully shot film, good music selection, and even a fitting main character. The acting skills of the girl, Macy, left a great large 'something to be desired'. The non-actor thing did not work so well with her except for the part where she was on the bicycle (read it, send it, burn it... etc).

So, winter break is enjoyable. I have no internet at my Oma's, which leads to a mixture of productivity and boredom. We have been really active with the Bauers the past couples days. Eva looks great, not fully pregnant yet (4 months), and her house is gorgeous. Viola is always really smart and perceptive in social groups, that was interesting to observe her observing me, hah. It is strange because they are all my family but I was left feeling a bit isolated. Everyone talks all at once here and interrupts lovingly. I am used to the American 'everyone has a chance in the spotlight' mentality and almost extreme polite manner. I see so much of my Mom in them, and in myself, but this is my first time back in Swizterland where I am humbled and comforted by my American identity.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Glad you enjoyed Zurich. Good luck with your studying and living abroad. It can be difficult but also very rewarding. Viel Glueck mit dein Deutsch auch. Alles gute.